Holiday Season and Cooking Fires
As the Holidays fast approach and the Festivities begin, please be Fire-safe in the kitchen.
Here are some tips for being safe in the Kitchen:
Cooking is the leading cause of home fires and fire injuries. Ranges or cooktops cause 62% of home fires according to the National Fire Protection Association. Learn how to stay safe with these tips.
- Keep anything that can catch fire away from your stove top.
- Always unplug counter top alliances when not in use.
- Make sure you have, and test, GFCI receptacles in your kitchen to prevent shock and electrocution.
- Double check that everything is off when you finish cooking.
- Prevent fires by keeping your oven and stove top clean of grease and dust.
- Never leave the kitchen while cooking.
- Never cook while sleepy, drinking alcohol, or taking medication that makes you drowsy.
- Never disable a smoke alarm while cooking.
- Never use a cooking stove to heat your home.
These are some helpful hints, but always be aware. If the unthinkable does happen, Please call SERVPRO of Ionia and Montcalm Counties at (616) 527-5470